Monday, January 6, 2014

A little help from friends

My toddler is pretty obsessed with Daniel tiger. She throws tantrums that rival an addicts withdrawal from heroine when it's time to turn off the iPad and stop watching Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood. And for the most part I'm ok with this obsession. Why? Because she learns some excellent lessons from the show. They deal with several social issues that a 2 - 4 year old might encounter - everything from sharing toys, having babysitters, going to preschool, etc.

     One of my favorite is all about using the potty. The episode covers several situations where the characters don't want to take time out of whatever they are doing to use the potty, and why it is important to go potty anyway. There's even a song - "if you have to go potty, stop and go right away. Flush and wash and be on your way." My daughter isn't the only child I've heard singing the song; it's actually incredibly catchy. I'm sure you can find it on youtube if you look.

     So now I'd say that Daniel Tiger, and specifically his potty song, have been added to the list of songs my child will grow up thinking of with nostalgia. Right in there with Raffi's "Brush your Teeth" song, and "The Itsy Bitsy Spider" will be "If You Have to go Potty." Awesome.





No comments:

Post a Comment