Monday, March 17, 2014

Shower time

I love showers. I think I have always liked them, and I remember taking way way way too long showering when I was a teenager. But I don't know if I've ever enjoyed showers as much as I do now that I'm a mom. They are my escape. For a few moments, I can't hear anything but the rushing water, the heat helps relieve some of the knots in my back and shoulders, and there is peace in the world. Well, in the shower anyway.

     Unfortunately, my opportunities to enjoy showers like that seem fleeting these days. First, our morning routines are getting earlier and more rigid, so I often find I need to shower the night before rather than try to fit in a rushed 90 second shower in the morning. Then there's the fact that my toddler doesn't like to let me shower on my own. To her, the shower is a group activity.

     So I now find myself, more often than not, taking a shower at odd times, accompanied by my toddler. Just imagine trying to figure out how to shave your legs while avoiding the water sports going on below me. It's a bit of a balancing act. Literally.

     And then there's the dreaded potty incidents. Yes, when she first starting accompanying me in the shower, my toddler had the occasional whoops moment where she didn't realize we weren't in a giant potty and decided to go. And we've dealt with it all. Thankfully it doesn't happen so often anymore (perhaps my shrieks and yells had something to do with that).

     But we do still deal with the occasional pee in the shower. I think it's still a novel idea for her - the fact that she doesn't get in super trouble for peeing in a place that isn't her diaper or the toilet. Oh well, I'd much rather wash that down than the other stuff that could be happening. And if I'm not having my peaceful nirvana away from reality type showers, what's a little more to deal with?

No comments:

Post a Comment