Friday, March 21, 2014

Never forget the diapers. Never

My sister shared this story yesterday, and it was just too perfect not to mention here. 

My sister was at the airport in Santa Barbara. Now as my sister was sitting at the gate area waiting for her flight to board, she noticed a dad with a baby flying alone. No one is quite sure what the scenario is that caused this to happen, but let's hope that they were on their way to someplace fun and relaxing.

     So apparently Mr. Dad took baby and stroller et al into the bathroom to change baby before the flight - so far, so good. And then moments later, Mr. Dad reemerged from the bathroom with baby not yet changed, because Mr. Dad FORGOT TO BRING DIAPERS!!!!!

     Perhaps you have to be a parent to appreciate the horror of this situation, but believe me - this is BAD. What do you do with a baby with a wet (or heaven forbid, a dirty) diaper when you are about to be on a very cramped plane with lots of people? And chances are pretty high that Diaperless Dad wasn't just going on this one flight, but that this was merely a connecting flight to another, probably longer leg.

     I know that in my family, I tend to be about as anal as possible when it comes to packing. I pack days in advance; I pack three times as many diapers and clothes as I will need. Did you see my post about traveling with babies and kids and all the stuff I mentioned? Yes, I'm nuts. But I'd rather be nuts than be this guy.

     Poor baby. Poor Diaperless Dad. I can imagine that there were several moments of sheer panic happening as he struggled to figure out what he could possibly do to handle this. After all, there aren't a whole lot of things that can double as a makeshift diaper when you're at a gate and I doubt there's even a convenience store in the airport (and if there is, it's incredibly unlikely that they have diapers, being in Santa Barbara and all).

Sadly I don't know what the ending was to this story. But it still serves as a wonderful reminder to anyone ever flying with a child. DON'T FORGET THE DIAPERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment