Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Free and clear in the rear

Now that the weather is FINALLY warming up, we get to spend a lot more time in the backyard. My baby even got a slide for her birthday, so there's fun for everyone. And it reminded me that it was about this time last year where we were starting the potty training fun with my preschooler and the backyard was a big part of that.

     I've heard a lot of people tout this method, although it only worked so-so for me. Essentially you strip your child down to their birthday suit (at least from the waist down) and let them play around outside. The idea is that without diaper and clothing to separate them from their bodily functions, they will notice when they have to go and it will clue them into what's going on a bit more.

     For my daughter this only kinda worked. The few times we let her run around outside without anything on, she would either go hide in the bushes or squat down near some plants and go right there. And usually it wasn't pee-pee. So then I had to get the hose out and wash everything away, otherwise worrying that we'd get into the mess later on. Thankfully she doesn't like to get messy so was not at all interested in investigating it.

     I think the idea behind this method is sound. However, for me and my daughter it was just as effective to put her in cloth panties and let her feel when they got wet. She doesn't like to be wet or messy, so that was much more incentive for her to run to the potty or tell me before she had an accident. But, I do see where this method, used at the right time, could make some headway. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment